[Bug/Win] Battle Bug

Contribute bug reports and play test feedback. Known Bugs & Issues.
hooster1

[Bug/Win] Battle Bug

Post by hooster1 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:45 am

v 9.100.1

I set up in a battle with 10 manticore.

My valiant knights charged across the fields and smote the evil, chitinous beasts with their stout lances, shattering many of them while the spear and mace men charged across the field as quickly as possible.
Alas, their stubby legs were no match for the Knight's mighty steeds and as they arrived, the evil beasts stung the last knight through his now bloody and dented armor.
Even though mortally wounded, the knight fought on.
The mace men smashed the shells of the beasts.
The spear men found the small openings in the shells and stabbed them with their steely points.

Over and over, they stabbed and smashed the beasts, but they would not stop.
The knight, ever so noble proclaimed, "'Tis only a flesh wound!" and even as his life blood gushed out by the gallons, he bravely continued to try and bite the overpoked crabs.

Like a bad song stuck on repeat, the killing never stopped, even with the manitcors and the brave knights at 0/10 units, and 0/100.
Fireball spells would not cook the crabs.
Finally bored with the gory show, some of my other units started wandering off.
Bad_Battle.JPG
Bad_Battle.JPG (115 KiB) Viewed 1168 times

Ludovic
Site Admin

Re: [Bug/Win] Battle Bug

Post by Ludovic » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:46 pm

What a nightmare! I shall see what can be done to prevent a recurrence of this madness.

hooster1

Post by hooster1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:23 am

I loaded a saved game and went into another battle. I am getting crazy results inside, including 6643 tail slaps by 100 giant albino alligators.
Bad_Battle.JPG
Bad_Battle.JPG (136.91 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
Now, I know regular alligators could never accomplish such a feat, and albino alligators are rare cousins, but wow! Each alligator is slapping my warriors 66.43 times a turn?

Under 50, maybe...but 66.43 is just unbelievable.

Ludovic
Site Admin

Post by Ludovic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:01 am

Looking at the timestamps it looks even more weird :D

hooster1

Post by hooster1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:08 pm

The units in both battles have been at 0 units for quite some time.

I was letting the battle run a while to see if they would eventually die or run away.
I went over 250 seconds. I tried retreat. The battle will not end.

Perhaps after X seconds, force a bail out of the battle routine?
I know it's not a great way to code, but at least it would stop the battle and let the game continue.
Right now, I have to kill the game from the task manager.

Ludovic
Site Admin

Post by Ludovic » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:36 pm

Yes, that's a fair point. The automated battle resolution does have guards in all the combat loops to avoid this scenario, but I have been trying to avoid adding them to the visualized battles, as it can easily hide bugs. I will add guards since a bit of hurt pride for me and very small dodge buff to the bugs is preferable to having battles not end and being forced to terminate the game process manually.

The bug in question is actually two bugs: one that involves not identifying destroyed units in some cases (that's pretty obvious I know) and one which involves the attack resolution going completely bonkers if it cannot find a unit member to apply the hit to (which could be a valid corner case when dealing with varying initiative values for attacks). So another positive is that one bug exposed another :).

Anyhow, I'll dive back into the bugfixing. Again, thanks a lot for these detailed reports. They help a lot.

Edit: I have put in a full actor state check if 20 seconds pass without any attacks and an unconditional bail-out if 120 seconds pass without any attacks.

hooster1

Post by hooster1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:12 pm

I see you have been very active adding features and fixing issues.

The game I have been working on is unplayable with the current bugs. Do you have an ETA for the next release?

Thanks!!!

Ludovic
Site Admin

Post by Ludovic » Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:34 pm

Tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.