[Bug/Win] Castle workers

Contribute bug reports and play test feedback. Known Bugs & Issues.
hooster1

[Bug/Win] Castle workers

Post by hooster1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:35 pm

When I add two workers to constructing barracks in my castle, the construction window to the right shows x/12 turns. When I take away a worker, it shows x/12 turns. Shouldn't more workers reduce the construction time?

I decided to play a Warlock. He has skills of Evil, Dark Pact, Summoner, blood, darkness, destruction and summoning. Shouldn't an evil character like these be able to recruit or sway the evil wandering monsters like skeletons that pop on the map rather than having to destroy them?

Ludovic
Site Admin

Re: [Bug/Win] Castle workers

Post by Ludovic » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:59 pm

Workers improve castle construction time by 5% per level of the Construction skill. So if a Barracks takes 12 turns to build it internally requires 12 "construction units" to complete. The default progress is 1 of these units. Each worker adds 0.05 per level of Construction skill. So workers without Construction make no difference. If you had 2 workers with Construction 1 assigned, progress would 1.1 (1+0.05x2x1). This would yield a construction time of 12 / 1.1 = 10.9, effectively 11 turns. 3 workers with Construction 3 would yield 12 / 1.45 (1+0.05x3x3) = 8.3, effectively 9 turns.

These values do need balance tuning, it is probably also unreasonable that workers without Construction have absolutely no impact on construction speed, and the mechanics need to be documented and easily readable. I am a bit wary of spending too much time tuning these as I want to merge workers with pops, and then any tweaking would have to be redone or even be useless. But I will try keep in mind that the new system needs to make it much more clear how much and why / why not workers/pops contribute to construction progress.

Regarding your second point: Yes, I would like the "Binding" mastery to be the entry point (along with relevant masteries such as the ones you mention) for recruiting neutral units, or in extreme cases even those controlled by another power. For a Warlock this could be monsters and dark entities, for a Lich it could be undead, for a Beastmaster it could be animals and beast-like monsters, etc. Basically a combination of Binding and one or more masteries unlocking the ability to bind units in this way. But it's another bulletpoint on the "not-yet-implemented" list for now. :) I will move it from my mental list to the backlog thread.

hooster1

Re: [Bug/Win] Castle workers

Post by hooster1 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:51 am

Glad to see it go on the to do list.

There are lots and lots of to do things, but little time. There may be times later on when there is more time to improve the game by going back to the to do list. Glad you are keeping track.