[UI] Fortress documentation

Contribute bug reports and play test feedback. Known Bugs & Issues.
hooster1

[UI] Fortress documentation

Post by hooster1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:52 pm

Could you please post some information in the documentation section about the different fortification and what they do?

Outposts
What each level does
Keep
Castle

Right now, they are something to take over, you get a little loot and it doesn't seem like you get anything for controlling it like you do with a settlement.

It seems they should have some value in the game other than the possible home of an enemy.
Of course, it could also be not implemented yet.

Ludovic
Site Admin

Re: [UI] Fortress documentation

Post by Ludovic » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:33 pm

Sadly, they don't do much yet apart from extending zone-of-control.

I'd like them to be critical in regards to territorial control and extended warfare, but I am also considering unifying the site mechanics, as suggested by many people, including you I think. My current plan is to use a district system for this, and use the opportunity to merge workers and "pops". This should make empire building/management more interesting and the various mechanics feel less disjointed. But there is also stuff like supply and improved army mechanics that do need to be somewhat in place for the fortresses to be able to tap into those mechanics.

hooster1

Post by hooster1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:50 am

Ah, place holders for more wonderful features, coming to a computer near you.

Not much need for documentation yet, of course.

Ludovic
Site Admin

Post by Ludovic » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:54 am

I added an effect to make fortresses slightly more relevant until more extensive supply, siege and control mechanics are implemented: Fortresses now increase the movement cost of entering a hex to the army max (ie effectively ending the army turn). A fully airborne army ignores this effect.

Next up is making the larger fortresses block movement out of the hex, except back from whence the army came.

hooster1

Post by hooster1 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Incremental improvements. Very nice.

I have no idea if you are going to have a trade model in the game, but if so, keeps, outposts and castles all had a positive influence on trade. From the outposts keeping the roads patrolled and safe to the castles where the merchants felt it was safe to do business as well as the built in customer base, the fortifications played an important role in early development.

simpkin_11

Post by simpkin_11 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:45 pm

Any thoughts about adding in army attrition?

If moving through hostile lands, depending on how deep you go into hostile lands your forces would not be able to re-supply as easily as before, Moral could be hurt, your troops could be the victim of supply train raids, traps laid on the road, ect, ect.

Having a hostile keep in the area should make all of those things increase, making the option of ignoring a fortress and marching past it to get to easier to take farms, mines, villages ect a little more costly.

Ludovic
Site Admin

Post by Ludovic » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:54 am

Yes, I actually started work on this a while ago, but it hasn't been finished yet, and I put it on the back burner when the new terrain graphics came in and the terrain system was reworked.

I will take a look at it again after the current warlord-focused development cycle. Hopefully I can get a first iteration of supply mechanics in at the same time as the concepts are related, as you also mention.