[Feedback] Mana Nodes

Contribute bug reports and play test feedback. Known Bugs & Issues.
hooster1

[Feedback] Mana Nodes

Post by hooster1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:17 pm

I have made some notes and will update them as I learn more (next post)
Last edited by hooster1 on Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hooster1

Re: [Feedback] Mana Nodes

Post by hooster1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:24 pm

Okay, more playing and testing and this is what I have found so far. As this is not documented yet, I am posting my guesses as well to help other new players.

Mana nodes do work, but you have to bring an army to them to use the spells.
Once your army is on the hex, and you have the correct units in the army (I have had Human Breakers on a node, and was told I did not have the correct unit type to use the spell), you can use the node spells you have researched.

Drain Mana says it drains mana from the node for X turns. I assume this is a defensive spell to reduce the mana another wizard harvests each turn.

Bind Mana - this binds the node to you and adds mana to your pool each turn.
Minor node - takes 125 mana to bind - gives 5 mana a turn
small node - takes 150 mana to bind - gives 10 mana a turn
Medium node - takes 200 mana to bind - gives (15) mana a turn
Large node - takes 375 mana to bind - gives 25 mana a turn
Massive node takes 625 mana to bind and gives 35 a turn.

Nodes also have affinities - Arcane, Chaos, Shadow, Order, ??? I have not figured out what the affinity does yet It may be you need a unit of that alignment to be able to bind the node. (my guess)

Improvement ideas - when the node is bound, change the node color, say yellow. When the node is drained - gray, if bound by an enemy, red. Another possibility would be to have the node symbol in the shield of who owns it.
Last edited by hooster1 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludovic
Site Admin

Post by Ludovic » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Thanks for the testing and feedback. It should of course be much more obvious *how* to interact with the mana nodes. I will give it a pass of bug fixing and see which usability improvements I can fit in for this update cycle.

hooster1

Post by hooster1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:35 am

I have not noticed, or there is not a way to tell if another mage has already captured a mana node.

The other users do not try to capture the Mana Nodes you have under control.

It seems taking another Mage's mana would tend to make him unhappy with you.

Ludovic
Site Admin

Post by Ludovic » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:39 am

The Wizard AI does have logic for planning, reserving resources for and executing capture of mana nodes. Perhaps a bug or priority issue (e.g. responding to threats is prioritized so highly that an army is never available to go grab the node). I'll take a look, and make sure mana node control is visible as well.

The future plans for mana nodes is to make them less important for mana generation, in the sense there need to be alternatives (sacrifices, extra-planar sources, artifacts, "arcane industry", etc). This involves some challenge in avoiding the different sources being too easily combined, balance considerations, AI integration, etc.

The type of node currently only affect what random events the node can cause. A death node can spread blight, chaos nodes can spawn monsters, light nodes can spread hallowed, etc.