[UI] Improve Building interface

Contribute bug reports and play test feedback. Known Bugs & Issues.
hooster1

[UI] Improve Building interface

Post by hooster1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:45 am

Right now, it works which is fine for the present state of the game.

However, (you knew there would be one) You have to read all the parts of the building text items carefully.

I tried building a vineyard, assigned a worker, had the gold, pressed build...Could not assign the required worker.
So, I must have hit cancel instead of okay - try again...same thing.
Go back and look even more closely - instead of the missing worker, I was missing the follower (Site leader).

Improvement idea - make the interface idiot proof.

Slots that have to be filled should be colored red.
Slots that may be filled should be yellow.
When the slot is filled, turn it green.
Missing resources you can afford should be yellow.
Missing resources you cannot afford should be red.
Having all the resources in your inventory should be green.

When the minimum requirements are met, turn the okay button green - ready to go.

Ludovic
Site Admin

Re: [UI] Improve Building interface

Post by Ludovic » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:42 pm

Great suggestions, especially as they can be implemented without too much work. There is a UI revamp slated (like the one done for the map), so incremental updates to make the game more usable while that is pending is the most cost-effective way to go, I think. It also helps guide the final layout and functionality. So thanks a lot for this feedback.

Another change coming soon which will help with making it more idiot-proof is to remove some of the focus on the non-gold resources and have better automation of market purchases. The resource economy needs to be pushed a bit more under the hood, so that it is possible to just "buy stuff" and not worry too much about micromanaging the resources you have. It ties into the "stockpile" option in the economy screen. I know I need to be careful not to push important information away from the UI, but as you remark, it requires too much attention to detail at the moment and is not very forgiving.