[Bug-Win][Feedback] Level editor

Contribute bug reports and play test feedback. Known Bugs & Issues.
barker_s

[Bug-Win][Feedback] Level editor

Post by barker_s » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:32 pm

I know it's probably pretty low on your to-do list at the moment, but here it goes anyway:

1. There is a bug in the editor. It appears that you do not clear your rivers between one world generation and another. To reproduce, just click "Generate" in the editor a few times - rivers will be everywhere, even on the ocean tiles ;) .

2. I have a little suggestion. It looks like the world generation is rather simple at the moment - you seem to use some kind of noise, an then you map the land elevation to the noise value at the relevant point. While being efficient, this leads to very predictable landscape - flat terrain by the ocean and hills/mountains in the middle of the landmass. You might consider doing some kind of simplified plate tectonics simulation to spice it up.

Ludovic
Site Admin

Re: [Bug-Win][Feedback] Level editor

Post by Ludovic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks for the bug report. (You are right, the editor hasn't seen much attention for a while).

I actually do use simulated plate tectonics. It is run for a certain number of steps, a bit of erosion is applied and a slight amount of noise. But the primary driver of the generator is actually plates moving around. I'd like to add a choice between diamond-square, fractal-based, etc. when generating the world, but there is so much other stuff to do, so that is pretty far down on the priority list.